Monday, February 9, 2015

no. 1 - a bridge between two worlds

If it’s true that opposites attract, then Valentino is where they converge. He refuses to let the word “or” confine him - instead he is both artistic and analytic in all endeavors, both poetic and scientific in the same breath as we speak over coffee on a blustery Thursday evening. Having graduated from the University of Tennessee in December, his life is in the same limbo that plagues many graduates entering the workforce. But the looming uncertainty hasn't restricted him - it's shaped him into a better human being. This is what fulfillment looks like in his eyes.





Tell me about yourself and what you’re all about. What am I all about? Hmm… well I am pretty creative but also analytical. I like to analyze systems in order to stand people’s, or systems’, behavior. That’s probably what drew me to economics as a major and all the mathematics electives I took. I also like to work with data, build websites, spend time outside and with my dog… I am a pretty simple person.


Give me your definition of the word “fulfillment.” What does it mean and what does it look like in your own life? Absolutely! For me, “fulfillment” means caring for those that I love and contributing to their lives in a positive, happy way. That applies to Emma, my dog Shadow, my sister, my parents, my extended family, friends, etc. I also try to live a life of giving, that is, giving when I can and helping other out as well, even complete strangers.
 

What is your favorite creative outlet?  I guess it would have to be web design and photography, although lately I have had a lot less time for photography. For me, listening to my favorite artists, dreaming up business ideas, programming (design or analytical) are all my creative outlets. Some think that because programming or business involves numbers it is inherently non-creative… but this is far from the truth. Dreaming up solutions to problems is creative in itself.
 

What legacy would you like to leave behind as you move forward in life?  I’d like to live a legacy of giving, creative thought, out-of-the-box thinking, and happiness. Life is too short to not enjoy it. We all have bad days, but just shrug it off and keep going! Too often we settle for how things are (good or bad), but even if things are good, why can’t we still strive to make them better?

Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
Literally: in a metropolitan area. Knoxville, in my opinion, is finally filling its own shoes and becoming a very special place to live, visit, and work in. But I have lived here for the majority of my life and am ready to explore new areas, people, cultures, and thus also stimulate my thinking and creativity in a manner that Knoxville can no longer provide for me. I do think I will move back in the future, but the next five years will likely be in a major metropolitan area.

Interpreting your statement another way… I will be married in the next five years, and, at the tail end of that time period, hopefully also starting a family and having my first child (or just preparing for it). I still find the idea of caring for a little one insane at this point in time, because at this point I am not even financially supporting myself, but it is something I am actively thinking about and I am finding methods to get there. The entrepreneurial spirit is alive in me, so maybe I will have my own company in addition to a full-time position somewhere, or maybe just my own company itself. There’s a lot of uncertainty in my life at the moment. All I know for certain is who I want to be with and the field that I want to pursue.

I think that sense of uncertainty is something many can relate to. How do you face and overcome it? I wake up every day and the only motivation is my own... which takes some getting used to. In this period of uncertainty, if there's an opportunity that someone throws at me, I take it. Anything that gets thrown at me, I just accept it. And there were some things I wanted to learn, like web development, so I learned it. I'm just trying to find things to do, trying to help other people more now that I have free time. One thing I've been trying to do is connect people I think would work well together. It's such a good feeling. I feel like I should be putting those people together, because it would be a failed opportunity for those people if I didn't. I'm done with being passive in my life, honestly. What inspires you creatively? People. I am naturally an extroverted person that needs a good amount of introverted decompression time. But people are, for the most part, my creative inspiration. Music really strikes a chord in me too, even though I have never learned to play an instrument. When listening to my favorite artists, I can often, with great clarity and depth, visualize the scenes and feel the emotions I was feeling at the same moment when seeing my favorite artists live… almost like a time machine. Sounds crazy, and maybe it is a little, but that’s part of who I am.
What is it about human beings specifically inspires you? People always fascinate me... People surprise me. Even when they're crazy or weird, I think it's cool. I'm glad there are the goths of the world, I'm happy there are the hipsters of the world, I'm happy there are the super liberals of the world, the conservatives of the world. That's what makes life beautiful because we have all these different characteristics and perceptions and ideas. How boring would it be if we were all the same? You can learn from your worst enemy, you can learn from your best friend. Keep your eyes open and learn what you can from people.


My talk with Valentino made me think about how entrepreneurship and creativity go hand in hand, how technology demands beauty, but perhaps most importantly, the beauty of human beings. I left our conversation feeling incredibly refreshed and grateful that he was willing to share. This first Kindred Conversation re-emphasized the truth behind this project: fulfillment lies in our ability to connect, in our willingness to be open. You can learn more about Valentino and his many endeavors at www.valentinoconstantinou.com. I'd love to have a Kindred Conversation with you, reader! Just fill out the contact form on the sidebar if you're interested. I'm abundantly grateful that you read this.

No comments :

Post a Comment