Friday, February 27, 2015

no. 4 - joy fuels creativity

I’m immediately overwhelmed by the smell of oil paint as Rebecca leads me into her studio space in UT’s Art & Architecture building. Becca is this person stitched entirely of a quiet loveliness, inside and out. I marvel at how she manifests this loveliness every time she puts a brush to canvas - a mark of a true artist. As she begins to set up shop for us to paint, I am reminded that there is immense power in the soft-spoken people of the world. Her gentle words seem to echo louder in the midst of the empty studio, as if they carry more weight in this quiet space. I invite you to be immersed in the wisdom she shared with me about becoming our true selves and the joy of creating:



Tell me about yourself and what you’re all about.
My name is Rebecca. I am an artist and graphic designer from TN. I was born and raised in a town right outside of Nashville, TN. I have a sweet mom and dad, a twin sister and a big sister. I think that twin-ness has shaped a lot of who I am at the core. But if I'm very honest, getting to know the character and the redemption of the Lord Jesus Christ is the richest thing that fuels my life. There are things that I could say that I’m about--art, relationships, etc, but I love to see how all of these things point me back to who He is and the story he’s been telling since the world began.


Tell me how being a twin has shaped who you are?
I just think about the way my sister has always been the more dominant, leader twin, and how that's put me in a role of stepping back and rely on her. I always call her my other mom because she's helped me so much in life. She's almost been a protector kind of friend. We never had to be lonely growing up because we had each other at school. She's recently married, and having her married has been a growing experience for me. It's taught me a lot about how I do rely on her in social settings.  I think internally she relies on me, and externally I rely on her.


In what setting do you feel the most naturally yourself?
I think that feeling most naturally myself involves vulnerability with others. I’m pretty introverted, so this setting is usually found one on one with someone. This person knows the good and the bad in me and can still deal and love me. I think it’s a lot about being known by another. There’s great worth in knowing who I am personally, but when another person is brought into the picture—and they also know me that takes it to another level where I really feel like myself.




Give me your definition of the word “fulfillment.” What does it mean and what does it look like in your own life?
Fulfillment.... Finding peace and meaningful relationships with people and with our Creator brings the most fulfilling fulfillment.

Tell me more about how you find fulfillment in the Creator.
I think being able to be vulnerable with God. For a long time I would go to God and try to take my best self to him. But I've learned that everything is free game and nothing is too yucky to take to him. Any desires, longings, questions - whatever it is, I can take it to him. And that's fulfilling, to know that he knows me fully.


If you could say something to the entire world, what would it be?
To quote a current spiritual leader in my life, Jesus is the hope for every longing. There is freedom and life found in him that nothing else can stand up against. He’s literally at the right hand of God at this moment—constantly interceding for us. He is gentle and humble in heart. Knowing him is not about rules or doing good but about a deeply redemptive relationship with the sweetest King who reigns forever!  


If you could give one piece of advice to your younger self, what would it be?
Loaded question. Fear not. I’ve been telling myself this for a long time, and I wish I would’ve grasped it sooner. I’m still learning that life isn’t about being comfortable or feeling safe. I would say that fear isn’t allowed to run my life, but sometimes it steps in to show me the areas where I need to press in and grow.  

If discomfort promotes growth, then what's the next uncomfortable step for you?
I think currently it's putting my work out there. The Honest Brush, which I just created, has been pressing every single button that I have, and it's been pushing me to think about who I am, what I want my work to be about, and who I want it to speak to. I'm asking what I want to more subtle about and what I want to be bold about. That's uncomfortable for me because it's very personal for me. I think it takes a lot of strength, and sometimes I don't know if I have the strength or the faith to do that.




Why did you choose this particular activity for the Kindred Conversations project?
Mmm, I suppose I chose painting because it is such a place of freedom for me. I get to express what words fail to capture. Art is a lot about message making, sending and receiving. Painting is like an extension of myself… via paint on canvas. It’s as if I’m connecting the dots as I get to convey emotions, thoughts, memories, beliefs and all these things that lack a physical presence in life.


Is is challenging to have studied in a major that demands you to be creative constantly?
Yes! It's very hard. Sometimes it can dry out your work process or creative flow because it's not always natural. But sometimes it's good practice for perseverance in creativity, to figure out the ebb and flow of your own process and how to push through dry spells. But I feel like I've learned a lot because you're pushed in so many different directions.




What inspires you creatively?
People, nature, other artists and their unique perspectives. I find that when I’m feeling really happy or joyful I want to create. I talk with people all the time that claim “I’m not creative!”  “ So not true", I argue. We were created in the image of the ultimate Creator! I think we each just have to find what to tap into within ourselves, and creativity looks really different for everyone… which is really inspiring. It inspires me to take my own creative perspective and go for it.

Talk to me about relating to God as a creative being, because I think that sentiment is very powerful.
I think painting is an act of appreciation to God because I feel like he's the ultimate painter. Maybe that sounds cliche, but he is! I look at the sky and I think "wow, that's such art." I feel like painting is an act of worship, in a way. People have been painting about him since painting began.






Whether or not you believe in a higher power, I think Becca’s musings on fulfillment can apply to everyone - there is remarkable joy both in creating and in letting ourselves be known. Being vulnerable, whether it is to God or to a person, is terrifying. At least it is for me. Any time I feel exposed, my fight-or-flight instincts kick in. But I believe that authenticity is a major key to both fulfillment and creativity. If we deny the ability to be vulnerable, we deny our humanity. That’s part of why this project is so important to me. I want to create a space for that authenticity, both in myself and others, despite the fact is requires some risks for both parties. The risk is always worth the reward.

You should all visit Becca's website, The Honest Brush, because it's absolutely breathtaking. I'd love to have a Kindred Conversation with YOU! Just fill out the contact form on the sidebar. As always, I'm abundantly grateful that you read this.

No comments :

Post a Comment